If you open your site on your smartphone’s browser and you have to scroll horizontally to view content or access menu items then the site is not optimised for mobile devices. Most sites built two or more years ago for small businesses would not be mobile friendly by default. Some are still being built today without considering mobile devices yet almost 50% of people access the web now via mobile.
Why should I make my site mobile friendly?
Your site should be mobile friendly because more and more people are accessing the web from devices such as smartphones and tablets today. When people encounter a site that is not mobile friendly they become frustrated and tend to not use the site if at all possible.
Common problems users encounter include:
- Menu items too small and are difficult to access
- Popup boxes appear off screen and sometimes cannot be shut down
- Images are not rendered at the correct size
- Content is difficult to read without zooming
What is the recommended solution?
When it comes to mobile website design there are 2 approaches:
- Adaptive design: in this case a brand new mobile specific site is created and perhaps tablet version too
- Responsive design: the front end of the site is created in such a way that the layout of the site changes depending on the resolution. This is generally achieved using a technology called CSS3 media queries, whereby visual elements have different styles applied based on the screen width.
How can I make my site mobile friendly?
There are a number of solutions to make your site mobile friendly.
- Create a brand new mobile version of your site. When users access your site from a mobile device this new site will be displayed. This option has the least impact.
- Modify your existing site: If your site is well implemented it might be possible to adapt the CSS and html to a responsive design.
- Probably the best solution is to re-implement your site using a modern CMS (such as wordpress) with a responsive theme, which means that your site will work on desktop, mobile and tablet devices in the future your site’s theme can change as technologies become available because wordpress is designed in such a way to keep the theming of a site separated totally from the content.
If your site is not mobile friendly, do not worry, you are not alone. I would encourage you to consider the options above though going forward as smartphones with browsers are here to stay and if you share your content on facebook